--Originally published at flnhub – Ken Bauer on Teaching and Technology
FlipCon16 WorkshopI’m leading a FlipCon 16 workshop on the topic of online organization and sharing with Cara Johnson this year in the morning and afternoon. We are expecting participants to come with questions, problems and solutions so that we can work together to create together. In other words, this is not a “sit and get” session or a talk.
Your Data, your Sharing, your PlatformWhat type of data are you looking to share and where are you looking to share it? Ken has experience on various Learning Management System platforms including Moodle, Blackboard, Schoology. Even if I have not used your platform, I am a nerd and systems person and I installed and have maintained a Moodle install for my colleagues since about 2003. Throw any problem my way and we can work it out together. The main data I share and the locales for that data are:
- Images and (some) video: I mainly share on Flickr since I can define the license I release them under as well as choose to keep some private (for my own archival purposes) as well as others public (so others can find and remix them). Do you know how to search on Flickr and give credit for the media you find there?
- Videos: I mainly share screencasts as well as auto-published Google Hangouts on Air sessions to YouTube.
- Mixed media content: My platform of choice is a blog and in particular WordPress (like this blog you are on now). You can use the free (or pay for extras) version at WordPress.com or use any of many hosting services to host your own blog using the open source WordPress.org software. If you want a recommendation of where to host, I highly recommend ReclaimHosting, they have excellent support and are educators that know what we need. Tell them Ken Bauer sent you. I actually have this personal blog as well as various other blogs for each of my classes and projects that I participate on. I find WordPress extremely friendly and flexible in order to mold it to what I need it for.
- Audio: I don’t share a lot of audio, but I have shared some on SoundCloud so you may want to look there as an option.
- Code: I am a software engineer and teach undergraduate software engineering and programming so I highly recommend GitHub and they have education accounts and resources.
Leave a Comment